Papa's Story
Sunday, April 10, 2005
  Introduction
With the eye of my memory, I can travel through time effortlessly. Any time I want, I can walk through the door at 60 South Morrison Street, and he’ll be there; sitting in his green recliner, two college football games playing on two different televisions, and yet a third coming through an earphone connected to his transistor radio. Papa always smiles at me, motioning me to sit in Nana’s recliner next to him, and we’re together…in silence, but together, and I know I am welcome.

My time travel has limits. It only goes back to the early seventies, and it can go forward only to April 18, 2001, when my mom called to wish me a happy 33rd birthday…and to tell me that Papa was dead.

I wish I could break the limits. I especially wish I could push it back, back, back… I’d like to see my grandfather in the fifties at the Billy Graham Crusade. I’d like to see him in the forties, returning from the victorious campaign in Europe, to see his eyes as they saw my mom for the very first time. I’d like to rewind to the thirties, because I don’t even know where he was then. I’d like to push back to the twenties, and see him open the letter offering a football scholarship to Northwestern, to see his smile of pride before he realized he couldn’t accept it. I’d like to see him when his dad left, whenever that was, and since I’m wishing, I wish I could ask him what might have died in him that day, too.

This is the story of my grandpa, Robert Buster Keethler, as I remember it, and as I’ve since discovered it to be.

 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
This is my writing journey to discover my grandpa's life. This is the life of Robert Buster Keethler, as I remember it, and as I'm discovering it to be. It will probably make the most sense to read it in reverse order.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Newberg, Oregon, United States

Elaine's Husband, Aubrey, Hayley & Talli's Dad.

ARCHIVES
April 2005 / May 2005 /


Powered by Blogger