Papa's Story
Saturday, April 09, 2005
  The beginning
On March 30 on my regular blog, I posted about my idea for a book about my grandpa. It's caught enough of my imagination that I decided to separate this story out and make it its own blog. Here's part of that post on the 30th....

So...here's what's been on my mind. I had an idea for a book today. I'd like to write about my grandpa. My idea even came with an opening paragraph to the book, which I may share in another post. Here's the problem: my mom's family is so quiet about things, that we know very little about Papa. So, either it's just a book about my memories (in which case it's less of a book and more of a pamphlet), or I make it fictional-but-based-on-a-true-story sort of book, or I do a ton of researching and then it wouldn't be finished for decades. I'd really, really like to do the last one. I imagined myself showing up in Rushville, Nebraska, sleuthing through old newspapers in a dimly lit library, taking pictures of old run down houses, even standing on the track where Papa ran the 440.

So mom, I know you're reading this....start digging up the family stuff you have. Everyone else: start chipping in for the “travel to Nebraska” fund and the “take care of the kids” fund. It's time to write a book!
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
This is my writing journey to discover my grandpa's life. This is the life of Robert Buster Keethler, as I remember it, and as I'm discovering it to be. It will probably make the most sense to read it in reverse order.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Newberg, Oregon, United States

Elaine's Husband, Aubrey, Hayley & Talli's Dad.

ARCHIVES
April 2005 / May 2005 /


Powered by Blogger